Friday, July 10, 2009

Maternity Style




















Maternity clothes have definitely come a long way, but there is still a lot to be desired when shopping for clothes to fit a pregnant body. Department stores used to carry maternity clothes, but I have been noticing that more and more stores are going to an online-only policy for maternity clothes. What about those of us who actually like to try things on before we buy them? My local JC Penney has a sign in the store that directs you to the maternity section, but it turns out that the "maternity section" is the plus-sized section...definitely not what I had in mind.

My local GAP and Old Navy have small maternity sections, but you just can't find everything you need there. Target also has a maternity section, but selection is limited and I frequently find that they are out of the sizes I need.

I've been finding that it is easiest to mix a few nice maternity pieces in with my regular wardrobe. I can make a lot of my regular pants and skirts work with a Bella Band as long as the top I wear is long. Also, I've been shopping for regular clothes in sizes and styles that accommodate my growing and changing body. The dress I am wearing in the picture above is not a maternity dress, but I'm betting the styling will allow me to wear it through the summer. Plus, I don't feel so bad spending money on clothes that I can still wear next summer (because I'm hoping I still won't be wearing my maternity clothes 6 months after birth!).

1 comment:

  1. I've recently discovered Kohl's for maternity clothes - lots of basics that are almost exactly like Pea in the Pod (they are made by the same company). Plus, Kohl's always has 40-60% off everything!

    ReplyDelete